Go to ECO main page Print current page Send e-mail to ECO Map of this site Browse Meeting Documents Info on use of web


38th WGRR Meeting 29 September-3 October 2003

1 Reports of other meetings:

ETSI Co-operation

WGRR was informed of developments within ETSI and about areas of a few ETSI work items that WGRR might be interested in such as, UWB SRD’s including Automotive Radar and RLANS. ETSI ERM WGRM are also interested in the new work item on a more flexible approach to changing market conditions and technological developments could assist WGRR providing technical help.

2 Conformity assessment matters

2.1 Ultra Wide Band (UWB) Devices
An ERO report on the latest developments in UWB was presented.

2.2 Automotive Radar Devices

There was an update on the work being done in the SRD/MG.  Delegates expressed serious concern regarding the timing of the automotive radar device report, which plans to suggest a permanent frequency band in 79 GHz and a temporary solution in 24GHz. WGRR had not yet been asked to contribute to the development of the “package solution” and this caused concern for many Administrations.

A liaison statement is sent to the SRD/MG Chairman, as well as the WGFM Chairman and the ECC Chairman, expressing the concerns of WGRR.

2.3 Report of SRD/MG

A short report summarising the current and ongoing work in the SRD/MG was introduced.

2.4 Proposal to withdraw ERC Decisions regarding Conformity Assessment

ERO introduced a proposal jointly prepared with the Chairman of RR9 to remove the ERC Decisions relating to conformity assessment.  It was reported that these Decisions are no longer in use as the RTTE Directive has been implemented by most Administrations.  Two Decisions had been drafted: One to abrogate Decision (97)10 on mutual recognition of conformity assessment; the second removes the 31 Decisions on common type approval regulations.  WGSE had been notified about the proposals since they had been involved in the preparation of the original approval regulation Decisions.

In discussion, questions were asked about the need for the final decides in each text (notification of implementation of the Decisions).  This seemed unnecessary in these texts.  The Chairman will raise the issue with ECC.

The two draft ECC Decisions were adopted by WGRR and forwarded to ERO for public consultation.

The Chairman noted that the Chairman of RR9 had also drawn attention to the need to withdraw ERC Report 12. Also ERC Decisions (96)02 and (98)11 contain related elements which have now become obsolete, but some of the text could usefully be put into a new ECC Decision for PR27.  WGRR agreed that these issues would be considered at a later meeting.

3 Maritime work issues

3.1 Report of RR2

The RR2 Chairman gave an update on RR2 issues. There had not been an RR2 meeting since the last WGRR meeting. Some of the items that will be worked on in RR2 during the next meeting are the licensing of ships stations, ESVs, proposals regarding listening watch on VHF channel 16, examining the items regarding maritime issues on the WRC 2007 agenda, as well as review the outcome of WRC 2003 and WRC 2003.

4 Work items on licensing and free circulation

4.1 Report of RR6

The RR6 Chairman introduced a report of the last RR6 meetings. RR6 held two meetings in Copenhagen since the last WGRR meeting.  The first meeting held on July 22nd 2003 dealt with amateur radio.  The second meeting, from 23 – 24 July 2003, was dedicated to a workshop on e-licensing with presentations from several Administrations on the first day, and to finalising the draft revision of ERC Report 61 and discussion on the lighter licensing regime on the second day.

4.2 Electronic Licensing

A report of the recent electronic licensing workshop held at the ERO on 23rd July was introduced. 

The structure of the day was to update on progress and give some coverage and exposure to e-licensing developments.  The Netherlands, Romania, Finland, Switzerland and the UK all attended the meeting and gave presentations on topics of interest. All the presentations are available on a special area for e-licensing on the ERO website.

A number of interesting issues were discussed.  It was noted that the focus of this topic had moved from e-licensing to other areas associated with electronic processes.  It was therefore decided that the report should more appropriately refer to E-enablement rather than E-licensing. WGRR noted the conclusions and a draft Report will be produced for adoption at the next WGRR meeting.

4.3 Draft Revision of ERC Report 61

The RR6 Chairman introduced the draft revision of ERC Report 61.  A number of Administrations provided comments, which were taken into account resulting in some minor changes to the report during the meeting.  RR11 also provided information relating to the chapter on inspection and closedown.  The report was agreed by WGRR and was sent to the ERO for consultation

4.4 Regulation of Earth Stations onboard Vessels (ESVs)

Inmarsat introduced a document regarding the regulation of ESVs on behalf of Inmarsat, Intelsat, Maritime Telecommunication Network, New Skies Satellites and Telenor. ESVs are being installed on ships to provide enhanced communication facilities.  Discussions about this had been taking place internationally for some time.  At WRC 2003, measures were adopted to permit the use providing that permission is obtained from relevant Administrations.  Although the use of the system is still in its infancy, operators have noticed divergent views amongst Administrations when considering the regulatory issues.

WGRR were requested to consider how the required regulatory approach for the use of these systems could be developed in a harmonised way.
In discussion, it was noted that other parts of the ECC family (WGSE, WGFM) might also need to be involved in this work.  However, it was agreed that as a first step, WGRR PT RR6 would start work on this topic and consider what needed to be done to develop guidance for Administrations to licence ESVs and the mutual recognition of licences by Administrations.  It was noted that this could also be of interest outside CEPT.

RR6 agreed to liase with parties such as RR2 and PT5 as necessary.

4.5 Light licensing regime

The meeting was informed about the results of the questionnaire sent to Administrations.  A number of issues were identified but it was noted that most of them were currently already on the work programme for WGRR, formulated in a more general way.  Therefore it was agreed that further work on this topic would not be required.

5 EU Matters

5.1 Spectrum Decision, Radio Spectrum Committee

The Chairman introduced a report of the Radio Spectrum Committee sent to WGRR by the ECC Chairman for way of information.  There were no items of concern for WGRR.

5.2 TCAM, including class 1 equipment

The Chairman introduced the report of the last TCAM meeting, sent to WGRR by the EU Commission.  It had now been confirmed that PMR 446 could be included as Class 1, and a suggestion was made by the Commission to allow PMR 446 using data. 

In discussion, it was mentioned that the ERC frequency Decision produced for PMR 446 only included speech.  A new Decision would have to be formed to enable data and a new standard to be developed.  ETSI indicated at the time that PMR 446 had been created by CEPT and ETSI.  The traffic model used was based on voice push-to-talk only and with its implicit duty cycle.
The introduction of data in a regulatory and technical framework where no duty cycle limit is specified will then change the allocated spectrum loading capacity.  This is also considering that there is no licensing control over PMR 446 as it is subject to general authorisation only.

WGRR are to clarify with the Commission whether they want WGRR to do some work on PMR 446 data, since the EICTA SRD Representative suggested that he and the ERO Deputy Director had completed the previous exercise for the Commission.

6 Work of PT5

6.1 Report from PT5 Chairman

The PT5 Chairman introduced the report of the last PT5 meeting.  The main topics of the meeting are presented in the work items below.

6.2 Proposed new ECC Decisions on Licence exemption of SUTs, SITs and VSATs

There was a proposal that WGRR commence development of new ECC Decisions in support of exemption from individual licensing of SUTs, SITs and VSATs using EIRPs up to 60dbw. 

Germany remarked that their monitoring service had observed more than 30 VSATs on the basis of the general licence in accordance with ERC/DEC (00)05 in Germany are used in the co-ordination zone of 500 metres from the boundary fence of any airport without authorisation.  From this experience it seems that geographical limitations to operations have the potential to be disregarded.  Additionally, it can be assumed that an even more complicated approach of different and larger co-ordination zones depending on the ERP level will increase problems.  Therefore in cases of higher ERP levels, individual authorisation seems to be necessary.

The Netherlands remarked that this proposal would need to be discussed with their Aeronautical Authority.

In the meeting it was noted that the work item should first be seen by WGSE for them to examine the power levels. The PT5 report of this proposal to ECC will therefore note that WGRR would be willing to consider this further, depending on the results of the WGSE study.

Luxembourg introduced a proposal which followed up the previous proposal suggesting it be considered in a broader context, to include terminals with much lower power.  WGRR agreed that this should first be dealt with in WGSE.

6.3 OSS Database update

The PT5 Chairman introduced a document  which concerned the information in the ERO OSS regulatory database.  Although the database is most often used in the context of satellite services, it was originally developed (under ERC Dec (99)22)) to provide regulatory information from Administrations on a number of different systems.  These were more appropriate to be considered by WGRR than PT5.
In discussion it was noted that the information on the database had not been kept up to date by all Administrations; and so that the recent EU Legislation could affect many areas of the collected information.  It was also noted that some of the information for satellite operators was not very clear.
In conclusion it was noted that PT5 would report this topic to ECC, noting that WGRR would be interested in any plans to revise the database information, providing there was a good case for its maintenance.  Other parts of the ECC would also need to be involved.  It was suggested that ERO might check if there would be any possible duplication of information with EFIS.

6.4 Implementation of ERC/ECC Decisions on free circulation and use of satellite terminals

The PT5 Chairman, introduced a document which draws the attention of WGRR to the growing problems by operators of satellite communication systems with the practical implementation by Administrations of ERC/ECC Decisions on free circulation and use of certain satellite terminals (ERC/DEC(95)01 and ERC/DEC(97)05).  Some Administrations say that terminals from outside CEPT are not covered by the Decisions, and in some cases that free circulation and use is not permitted in the absence of a service provider in their territory.

WGRR agreed to investigate the issues.  RR6 agreed that they would include this on their work programme, with input from PT5.

7 Matters concerning radio fees and charges

7.1 Report of RR8

The RR8 Chairman introduced the report of RR8.

RR8 had discussed recent developments within Administrations concerning fees and charges.  It was agreed that it would be useful to continue to have such updates. Italy informed WGRR that a new Electronic Communications Act, including new radio fees and charges, was issued on September 15th and that all existing data on fees and charges will be updated by Italy in a future contribution addressed to RR8.

The next meeting of RR8 would be held in Paris on 3-4 December 2003.

7.2 Cost Allocation and Accounting Questionnaire

WGRR was informed on the progress of this study.  20 responses have been received so far and administrations are urged to continue to send their information to the RR8 Chairman by the end of October. RR8 will analyse the results in the next meeting and a report will be drafted for the next WGRR meeting in February.

7.3 Fees for short term events

A document which analysed the results of the survey on fees for short-term events was introduced.  The first draft of this report had been presented at the last WGRR meeting.  This revised text includes analysis of the issues that are considered by administrations when setting fees.  The report was split into two parts, the general findings and detailed fee calculation information.  24 Administrations had responded to the survey.  Since the information in the report was likely to be changed frequently, it was agreed that it would be put onto the fees part of the ERO website.  RR8 will frequently review the document and add any new information received from administrations.

7.4 Work item concerning Auctions and Beauty Contests

This work item concerns the work request from the ECC to determine whether this still needs to be included on the WGRR Work Programme.  RR8 had developed a draft liaison statement that could be sent to the ECC.  In discussion it was mentioned that this item is very useful as it offers a balance of information about licensing options.  A number of Administrations supported this work item continuing.

The liaison statement was agreed by WGRR to be sent to the ECC.

8 Enforcement

8.1 Report of RR11

The RR11 Chairman introduced the report of the last RR11 meeting in Mainz, Germany.

It was reported that the Draft Report on FM unlicensed broadcasting would be available at the next WGRR meeting.

18 countries had responded to the market surveillance campaign.  Mr Yurdal stated that he will be finalising the analysis before the next RR11 meeting.  The results will be discussed in combined RR11/ADCO meeting in November, TCAM in December and WGRR in February 2004.

Germany stated that there was an enforcement problem with transponders of maritime systems.  It was agreed that RR11 would assess this problem at their next meeting and would ask RR2 to provide information on this.

8.2 Feasibility study on mobile phone interceptors

ERO gave a presentation on the work item undertaken by RR11 on the feasibility study for mobile phone interceptors. A questionnaire has also been produced by RR11, which has been sent to Administrations. Five responses have been received so far and Administrations are urged to send their replies to RR11. The results will be available at the next WGRR, as further investigation on interceptors is needed.  Consideration is being given to holding a one day workshop between RR11 and GSM Europe to discuss this topic. In discussion interest in the progress of this work was noted and the group looked forward to further information being available at the next meeting.  Further information will be available at the next meeting.

8.3 Draft Report on Guidance for Special Events

A draft guidance report for radio usage at special events was introduced by the RR11 Chairman. It is intended that this report will be an ECC Report. Italy, Sweden and Spain explained their situation for special events and this was found useful by RR11. The RR11 Chairman requested further information from Administrations by the end of November to be taken on board at the next RR11 meeting.  These comments will be taken into account and RR11 will present the final draft at the next WGRR meeting in February 2004.

8.4 Draft Recommendation for non-GSM Jammers

A Draft Recommendation for non-GSM Jammers was presented.  This was produced at the last RR11 meeting on request of WGRR.  Some amendments were made to the text.  This Recommendation was agreed by WGRR and will be sent to the ERO for Consultation.

8.5 Report on the Training of Field Force Staff

The RR11 Chairman introduced a document and gave a presentation on the Report on Guidance on Training of Technical and Administrative Staff in the Field Force. This report is to provide a common approach to the basic knowledge and training of inspectors.  It was mentioned that there was good co-operation with PT22 in preparing the report.  WGRR agreed that this report should be considered as an internal report for Administrations and should therefore be placed on the ERO website in the enforcement area.   The Document was approved by WGRR and was sent to the ERO to be placed on the website.

RR11 will also consider holding a workshop on this topic.


9.1 Updates of Amateur matters

ERO introduced an information document which was a discussion paper from Australia for public comment entitled A Review of Amateur Service Regulation. The paper canvasses a wide range of changes to regulatory and licensing arrangements for the amateur service in Australia. Of particular interest is Section 6.4 of the paper (pages 33-34), which mentions the relationship between Australia and the CEPT.

The IARU representative mentioned that Albania would be running a course in November and December, which would be compliant with T/R 61-02

9.2 CITEL application to join T/R 61-01

ERO gave an update on the CITEL application to join T/R 61-01.  WGRR was informed that progress is continuing and that further information will be available at the next meeting.

9.3 Draft Revision of CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01

The RR6 Chairman introduced the draft revision of CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01 that had been on public consultation and comments made had been considered in RR6.  This document was discussed and some changes were made to the text.  To assist in the availability of information during the transition phase towards implementation of the revised Recommendation, it was agreed that a footnote be added to appendix 2, saying, “for use of HF bands, Morse code is still required”.  Administrations where this applies could then refer to the footnote. It was noted that the ERO have only had 5 responses regarding the CEPT Licence class.  Administrations are urged to send their responses to the ERO.
The IARU will also notify their contacts on the changes to the Morse code requirements.

The revised Recommendation was adopted by WGRR and was forwarded to the ERO for publication.

9.4 Draft Revision of CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-02

The RR6 Chairman introduced a draft revision of CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-02.  A number of editorial changes were made during the meeting. The Draft Recommendation was sent to the ERO for public consultation.

9.5 Draft ECC Report on the Standard for Voluntary Morse Code Examinations

The RR6 Chairman introduced a draft ECC report on the examination standard for Morse code examinations.  A number of Administrations were not in favour of such a report and it was agreed that the text would be an information notice which will be placed on the ERO website under amateur topics.  The IARU and ERO will keep WGRR informed if there are any comments on this report by radio amateur users.  This document will be reviewed after 6-12 months with possible removal from the ERO website.

10 Implementation of ECC Decisions

ERO introduced a document which shows the implementation of ERC/ECC Decisions in CEPT member states.  It was agreed during the last meeting that information would be useful on countries that can not implement Decisions. The information is now present in the tables.  These tables will continue to be updated.  This update will be drawn to the attention of ECC.

11 WRC 2003

11.1 Report on outcomes of WRC 2003 relevant to WGRR

The RR2 Chairman introduced a document which described the outcomes of WRC 2003 relevant to WGRR. It was noted that all the CEPT objectives in the maritime area had been met. Mr Steenge reported back on the outcome of Amateur agenda topics.

The Chairman thanked them both for their useful update.

12 RR Work programme

12.1 RR Work Programme

The WGRR Chairman introduced a document which included the changes proposed by the Project teams.  The proposed changes were adopted and the Work Programme will be forwarded to the ECC.

12.2 Update on the proposal for a new work item to introduce more flexibility when responding to changing market conditions and technological developments

The Netherlands, gave a presentation on the results of the correspondence group work on this new work item.  The background to this topic was explained and it was mentioned that ITU SG1/WP1B are also discussing this topic.  It was suggested that WGRR set up a new project team who would identify possible work items that would be included in their work programme. 

A document was introduced which gave further information on the correspondence groups work item, addressing new topics which would need to be looked at, inviting comments and suggestions. The name of the correspondence group was changed to “Spectrum Regulatory Framework” to stress that the group is not intending to include work, which is done in WGFM.

In discussion, comments were made that the definitions need to be clarified as “spectrum licensing” and “frequency assignments” are the same in their Administration. WGRR agreed that this is an important item and that a project team should be set up, although there is still some concern that there should not be any duplication of work going on in other working groups.  The Terms of Reference should be clear so that this does not happen.

The Chairman decided that if ECC agreed to the work item, the project team should begin work soon, and nominations to chair its PT were requested.  The Netherlands nominated Mrs Lillian Jeanty, from their Radiocommunications Agency, to become Chairman of the proposed project team.  This was agreed by WGRR.  A document will be forwarded to the ECC with the proposed terms of reference attached.

13 Any other business

13.1 WGRR Venues for 2005

The WGRR Secretary informed the group that Administrations are needed to host meetings in 2005.  Delegates are advised to contact the Chairman or Secretary to express their interest and to receive further information.

13.2 New CEPT member

The WGRR Chairman introduced an information Document which explained that the Republic of Belarus have been accepted as the 46th CEPT member.  The Republic of Belarus can now attend ECC meetings and its subordinate bodies.

13.3 Recognised Spectrum Access (RSA)

The UK introduced an Information document which is an update on the work currently being undertaken in the UK on RSA.  It gives further information about questions raised in the presentation on RSA at the previous WGRR meeting.

13.4 Netherlands Heath Study

The Netherlands mentioned that a press release had been issued this week by their Ministry of Economic Affairs, Housing, Spatial Planning and the Environment, and Health Welfare and Sport, about the publication of a report by the Netherlands organisation for applied scientific research TNO on the heath effects of mobile telecommunication antennas.  Further information is available on www.ez.nl

14 Date and place of next meeting

The next meeting will be held in Copenhagen, from the 2-6 February 2004.

The Chairman reminded delegates that the restructuring of ECC would be implemented in January 2004.  This means that WGRR will become WGRA and welcomes delegates from the current ECC PT5 joining the WGRA family.



ANNEX 1 List of participants

ANNEX 2 Agenda

ANNEX 3 List of documents

ANNEX 4 Liaison statement to SRD/MG on Automotive Radar Devices.

ANNEX 5 Draft Decisions on the withdrawal of ERC Decisions regarding conformity assessment.

ANNEX 6 Draft Revision of ERC Report 61

ANNEX 7 Results of fees for short term events survey

ANNEX 8 Liaison statement to ECC regarding Auctions and Beauty contests

ANNEX 9 Presentation on Feasibility study on mobile phone interceptors

ANNEX 10 Draft Recommendation for non-GSM Jammers

ANNEX 11 Presentation on the training of field force staff

ANNEX 12 Information report on the training of field force staff

ANNEX 13 Revision of CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01

ANNEX 14 Draft revision of CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-02

ANNEX 15 Information document on the standard for voluntary Morse code examinations

ANNEX 16 WGRR Work Programme
ANNEX 17 Presentation on the new work item on more flexibility in the spectrum regulatory framework

ANNEX 18 Report on the new work item on more flexibility in the spectrum regulatory framework

Related Links

ECO Meeting Document Server

European Commission Information Society