Go to ECO main page Print current page Send e-mail to ECO Map of this site Browse Meeting Documents Info on use of web


Minutes of the 1st WGRA Meeting, 2-6 February 2004, Vilnius, Lithuania.

1 Reports of other meetings

1.1 Report from EFIS Maintenance Group

There had not been a meeting since the last WGRR meeting.  There are around 2000 visitors a month to the EFIS database.  There are now 20 Administrations present on the database, and there are plans to include radio interface information.

1.2 CPG report

The RA2 Chairman reported back on the last meeting where the main task was to organise the future work, set up project teams, and appoint co-ordinators for this work.  It was reported that CPG will now deal with most of the work directly in its own project teams, therefore FM, SE and RA will not be asked to start work on any of their issues.

2 Conformity Assessment matters

2.1 Ultra Wide Band (UWB) Devices
It was reported in particular that Task Group 1/8 considered that short range radar devices using UWB technology can not be introduced if they produce emissions in frequency bands to which footnote 5.340 applies, however any possibility of using some of these bands for UWB applications should be further investigated very carefully.

The EU Spectrum committee will issue a mandate to CEPT to encourage more development in the UWB field, the reason being that they do not want to fall too far behind the US.

2.2 Automotive Radar Devices

A draft ECC report on Short range radars was introduced.  A permanent band at 77-81 GHz range has been agreed with an interim solution in 21.5-26.25 GHz band (interim solution reviewed in 2009, and limited in time until 2014).  There are issues such as interference and enforcement, market surveillance and market penetration level which will need to be addressed.

Portugal commented that it was not able to accept the temporary solution in 24 GHz.  Ireland could accept the use of the 24 GHz band, although they have concerns with the penetration level, and would require more legal certainty.  The Netherlands also expressed their concerns.

It was suggested that RA11 look at this item and think about the practical problems involved with the implementation of 24 GHz solution.   It was suggested that the RA11 and SRD MG Chairmen attend each others meetings to highlight the problems.

WGRA agreed to produce a liaison statement to SRD MG explaining the concerns of the Administrations, such as control and enforcement.

2.3 Report of SRD/MG

Current issues that are being looked at in the group are radio microphones, ultra low power animal implants and social alarms.

It was also reported that I-Pod MP3 players are being used in automotive vehicles by transmitting in the broadcasting band to play music through the car speakers.  It was reported that there have not been any cases of interference, but there is the possibility especially with other passing cars.  SRD MG will continue to look at this hardware.  This item was also raised in the RA11 report.

2.4 Proposal to withdraw ERC Decisions regarding Conformity Assessment

No comments were received during the consultation period.  WGRA agreed that the Decisions would be sent to the ECC for final adoption.

It was agreed that RA9 might close at a future date, and that any residual and future work items identified would be actioned to other project teams of WGRA.

3 Maritime work issues

3.1 Report of RA2

Items of discussion at the RA2 meeting were of the Maritime provisions of WRC-00 and WRC-03, Agenda items for WRC-07, listening watch on VHF channel 16, exemption from licensing for maritime equipment, GMDSS coast stations operator certification course, PLB questionnaire and the testing of EPIRBs, ELT and PLBs.

A proposal to contact the Commission referring to concerns on the certification of seafarers relating to existing bilateral agreements entered into in accordance with the Directive 2001/25/EC was presented.  Some amendments were made to the letter and WGRA agreed that the letter should be sent to the Commission.

The RA2 chairman Mr Trond Olsen reported that he will be unable to continue as Chairman of RA2 as he has other commitments.  It was agreed that Mr Jaap Steenge will chair the future work of RA2. 

WGRA wished Mr Olsen a warm goodbye and hoped that he has a successful chairmanship in CPG PT4.  WGRA thanked Mr Olsen for all his hard work over the years.

4 Work items on licensing and free circulation

4.1 Report of RA6

The report of the last RA6 meeting was presented.

4.2 Electronic Licensing

A draft ECC report on e-enablement was presented.  The exercise that was started in 2003 as a report into e-licensing had been expanded to examine the use of electronic processes by Administrations.  The report was discussed by WGRA and it was reported that there is an opportunity for Administrations to update their information until the end of April.  The report will be discussed at the next RA6 meeting, where some changes to the structure may be made.  The final draft will be available for adoption at the next WGRA meeting.

WGRA thanked Mr Thomas for his thorough presentation, and looked forward to viewing the final draft.

4.3 Draft Revision of ERC Report 61

The report has been circulated for consultation and one comment was received from Germany, regarding the Vienna/Berlin agreement, which was incorporated into the Report.  It was agreed that WGRA would adopt the revised report, and send it to the ERO for publication.

4.4 Regulation of Earth Stations onboard Vessels (ESVs)

A document which had been presented at the last meeting of WGRA by Inmarsat was considered.  During the RA6 meeting, changes were made to the conclusions to identify areas that need to be looked at, for instance; to incorporate certain conditions for defined offshore distances, a framework for Administrations to license ESV operations and the conditions for mutual recognition of licenses.

It was reported that there is no solution available at the moment, and that it is likely to take two years before any final agreement is reached.  RA6 requested that it would be useful to find out how to contact other regions to discuss the issue.

RA6 will continue to look at this issue during their next meeting.  WGFM will also be looking at other aspects. 

4.5 Free Circulation and Use

At the last RA6 meeting the text of ERC Decision (95)01 was reviewed. The reason was that operators complained to have been asked by some administrations to apply for a service licence before they would allow for free circulation and use of subscriber terminals. RA6 concluded that decides 4 of ERC Decision (95)01 “that the holding and use of the radio equipment mentioned in annex 1 shall be allowed without requiring any kind of national licence or any registration of the radio equipment in the country visited” indicated clearly that no license of any kind should be required by administrations to allow for free circulation and use. It was pointed out that a reason for this difference in views was that for terrestrial networks, a terminal could only be used if there was a network available. For Satellite networks, this was no technical requirement.

The problem was also brought to the attention of the chairman of ECC PT6 as an example of different interpretation of ERC Decisions. It was proposed to raise the problem also in the report of WGRA to ECC.

Another item discussed at the last meeting of RA6 was the inconsistencies found and pointed out by MSUA in the text of ERC Decision (97)05. This Decision deals with licence exemption as well as with free circulation and use of S-PCS terminals. The text of the Decisions refers to terminals originating from CEPT which is no problem in the case of licence exemption but does not seem to be appropriate for free circulation and use of such terminals, this is especially so, as the Decision aims at facilitating a global service.

The changes which would have to be applied in ERC DEC(97)05 to eliminate the inconsistencies were presented. It was decided not to  change the Decision at present but to keep the problem in mind to avoid similar cases in the future.

5 EU Matters

5.1 Spectrum Decision, Radio Spectrum Committee

The meeting was informed of the latest developments. 

The on-going co-operation between TCAM and RSC in particular due to the effective liaison between the two committees on mandates to CEPT and ETSI was noted.

CEPT presented its first interim report on the progress of the SRR Mandate.  This report will define technical conditions for co-existence of SRR with other services.

5.2 TCAM, including class 1 equipment

The EU Commission gave an update on the RTTE Directive by the way of a presentation entitled “RTTE Directive – Has it achieved the internal market for RTTE equipment?”  The presentation contained the changes that have taken place, the aims of the RTTE, spectrum management, and experiences that the Commission have come across.

A liaison statement from WGFM discussing PMR 446 in Class 1 was presented.  They requested that WGRA contacts TCAM concerning the possible use of including PMR 446 data in Class 1.  Some administrations allow both voice and data in their radio interface specification although this will, however, have the consequence that two classes will be placed on the market for the same type of equipment.

It is suggested that TCAM15 consider the liaison statement containing the template and principles of including a user limitation such as ‘for voice only’ with class 1 equipment.

6 Work of RA5

There was a workshop organised by The Global VSAT Forum, SAP REG, and ESOA called “EC Satellite Regulation: National Solutions in the European Context”, which was held on the Tuesday morning of the meeting.  Mr David Hartshorn of the Global VSAT Forum chaired the workshop where various speakers from CEPT member countries and industry, gave presentations relating to satellite regulation.

6.1 Report from RA5 Chairman

The report of the last meeting was presented.  Items of discussion at the RA5 meeting were the SAT OSS, ESVs, implementation of Free Circulation Decisions for satellite terminals, proposed new Decisions on licensing of satellite terminals and a proposed new Decision on AES and lawful interception.

6.2 OSS Database update

The ECC have asked WGRA to investigate what is needed to maintain the OSS database, and whether it is still needed.

ERO presented a document which explained why RA5 feel that the OSS database is still needed, and suggest some modifications to the database, in order to accommodate the new EU Regime, without investing into further software developments.

After some discussions, WGRA decided that RA5 should look at how to modify and adopt the database, to keep the shop going, without investing any more resources or investigating the consequences of this.  It was also suggested that a survey could be sent to Administrations asking why they are not using the OSS.

6.3 Draft Decision on the operation of Aircraft Earth Stations

The draft ECC Decision on the operation of Aircraft Earth Stations was presented.  This was a proposal from Boeing to RA5 which was noted by WGRA.  WGRA were asked to decide how to take this forward.

It was agreed that RA5 and RA6 will have a joint meeting to discuss this item.  The meeting will take place 22-23 March 2004.

A liaison statement from ETSI TCSES regarding a harmonised standard for Aircraft Earth Stations was introduced.  It was noted that this document was very useful, and that they will take account of the comments from ETSI.

A liaison statement from WGFM on the use of the band 14-14.5 GHz was presented.  Attached to the statement was a draft Decision on the use of the band relating to AES and ESVs.  It was decided by WGRA that RA5 and RA6 would examine the draft Decision at their joint meeting in March, and report back at the next WGRA meeting.  A liaison statement will be sent to WGFM to inform them of this.

6.4 Liaison statement from ETSI TCSES on lawful interception

There was a proposal from ETSI TCSES on Lawful Interception. It was agreed that this may not be a work item for WGRA, nevertheless the interest of this ETSI initiative was recognised as some Administrations require that lawful interception means be provided.  The document will be forwarded to the ECC to decide who will work on this item.

7 Matters concerning radio fees and charges

7.1 Report of RA8

The report of the last RA8 meeting was introduced.  Topics of discussion were the developments within Administrations regarding fees, cost allocation and accounting systems and auctions and beauty contests. 

7.2 Draft Report on Cost Allocation and Accounting

A presentation of the draft report was given. The report investigated how spectrum management functions are financed in CEPT and what relationships exist between income from fees/charges and cost of spectrum management activities.  The survey that was sent around to gather information resulted in 20 Administrations responding.

Five main models were identified:  fee-based model, state-financed model, charge-based model with cost allocation system, charge-based model without a specific cost-allocation system and a hybrid fee and charge-based model.

RA8 concluded that there were a variety of ways to finance the radio administration however all the funding scenarios are a variation of one of the five identified models.  Due to the implementation of the EU package, some Administrations may move from one model to another to provide greater transparency and fairness.  Cost allocation systems are expected to be used more widely across CEPT/EU.

Some comments were made in regard to the draft report, and these will be discussed in the next RA8 meeting, where the group will prepare a final report to be presented at the next WGRA meeting in May for adoption.

8 Enforcement

8.1 Report of RA11

The RA11 Chairman introduced the report of the last RA11 meeting.

RA11 is still working to finalise the draft report on unlicensed FM broadcasting. As only 9 Administrations have responded to the 2nd questionnaire that was recently circulated and that the information was out of date, the information will need to be updated in order to provide an accurate conclusion to the report. Administrations are urged to provide information to RA11 so that this report can be completed at the next RA11 meeting.

WGRA was also informed about a proposal from the Netherlands Administration regarding risk-based enforcement.  It was considered by RA11 as a helpful tool for planning enforcement activities in an intelligible way and also gives an insight into enforcement costs involved. This item should be included in the RA11 work programme. WGRA decided that RA11 should further investigate the scope and purpose of this exercise and report back at the next meeting.

The RA11 chairman drew the attention of the meeting to the introduction of low power radio FM-transmitter in combination of a MP3 player for provision of music via the car FM-receiver. In Europe the FM band is allocated to licensed broadcasting. Other use of the FM band is prohibited in the European countries. Enforcing of this ‘illegal’ low power transmitter is very difficult.
The meeting discussed the issue shortly and it was noted that a further in depth discussion on the issue (as well as on how to take it forward) should be scheduled for the next WGRA meeting. Nevertheless the meeting expressed its severe concerns on the noted increasing illegal use of low power FM transmitters to be connected with MP3 players.

RA11 was therefore requested to take the issue on board its Agenda, to discuss it at its next meeting and to come with proposals for further treatment.

It was also noted that RA11 have concerns with PLT systems in Europe, as they are a cause of interference with short-range systems. This will be discussed further at the next RA11 meeting.

Also a French proposal concerning a study on how Administrations deal with EMF problems on base stations on networks should be further investigated, before WGRA can agree with putting this item onto the RA11 work programme.

8.2 Feasibility study on mobile phone interceptors

ERO introduced the 2nd progress report on the feasibility study for mobile phone interceptors. 17 responses have been received since the questionnaire was sent out.  Administrations who have not responded are encouraged to do so.

The results of the responses show that three Administrations allow the placing on the market and use of mobile phone interceptors, whilst nine do not. The other Administrations who responded have made no firm decisions.  RA11 feel that if they can provide more technical information, more Administrations will provide the necessary information.  Lithuania commented that they will provide updated information.

ERO introduced the report of the meeting between RA11 and GSM Association Europe which was held in London during early January.  There were some concerns from GSM Association Europe with the proposal for mobile phone interceptors. They will deal with this issue at their next meeting of Frequency Management Group, GSM Association in March and the results will be communicated to RA11. These results will be presented to WGRA in May by RA11.  Mr Van Dijk mentioned that Document (04)020 annex1 contains a lot of information regarding a study of mobile phone interceptors in Canada.

The report will be finalised at the next RA11 meeting, and forwarded to WGRA for adoption at the next meeting in May.

8.3 Report on Guidance for Special Events

A presentation was given on the report on guidance for radio usage at special events. The aim of this report is to provide guidance to operational CEPT Administrations for the planning of radio usage before and during special events in order to minimise the risk of interference, especially to safety of life services. It also enables host organisers, broadcasters and other interested radio users to co-ordinate their requirements with the Authorities and to take into account the differences in rules and regulations between CEPT member countries.

The purpose of the report was to provide guidance to Administrations providing radio usage, before and during special events.

The draft Report on Guidance for Special Events was introduced. The report was discussed in detail and some changes were made. It was agreed by WGRA that the report would be adopted as requested by Italy and sent to the ERO for publication.

It was agreed that a liaison statement will be sent to WGFM concerning the withdrawal of ERC Report 34, as the report produced in RA11 supersedes this.  A draft liaison statement  was proposed to be sent to WGFM.  The liaison statement was adopted.

8.4 Draft Recommendation for non-GSM Jammers

The draft recommendation for non-GSM jammers that has recently been circulated for consultation was presented. The group was informed that there were no comments during the consultation period. WGRA agreed that the recommendation could be finally adopted and placed on the ERO website for publication.

8.5 Report on market surveillance campaign in Europe

A presentation was given of the report of the European market surveillance campaign.

The reasons for the campaign were to find out the effect of the RTTE Directive on Member States and participated Countries how have implemented the R&TTE Directive. RA11 and ADCO surveyed in 19 Countries and 1900 types of telecommunication equipment and radio equipment. The results of the administrative market surveillance activities an overall compliance level of 24%. 

The report was finalised at the end of 2003 and already considered by the European Commission and TCAM but not finalised. Proposed by RA11 and ADCO is to develop a simple guidance for the industry and to organise in the spring a workshop, intended for the European Industry and other interested parties. Furthermore it is proposed that the European Commission should start an in-depth investigation about the reasons of the low level of compliance. At the next TCAM15 meeting the discussion will be continued. It is expected that the outcome will have consequences for further activities of RA11 and ADCO. 

RA11 will provide WGRA with a progress report of the TCAM meeting in March, where further discussions of the campaign will take place. The Market surveillance campaign report will be placed onto the ERO website after the next TCAM in March meeting.

8.6 Draft report on (O)R-LANS
The draft report on Outdoor R-LANS which was sent to WGRA to provide comments and improvements was discussed.  The report is intended to explain the situation of ORLANS in Europe.  RA11 recommended that the document should be looked at in WGFM, at a later date.  Mr Van Dijk also requested that if any Administrations have any comments, they should send them to RA11.

Germany will provide further information on this as they have recently studied the use of these systems.  Denmark commented that there have been no complaints in Denmark and therefore no actions are foreseen.

9 Flexibility in the spectrum regulatory framework

9.1 Report of RA12

The report of the first meeting of RA12 was presented. Twenty four delegates attended the meeting, which involved defining the issues that RA12 will look at.  It was decided that the whole of the regulatory framework should be taken into account and liaison will other parts of ECC would be needed.  A liaison statement to WGSE has been developed requesting technical assistance.

An ECC report will eventually be produced, and RA12 agreed that it would be useful if Administrations could provide information regarding any studies that are being undertaken at national level in the area of introducing more flexibility.

10 Radio Amateurs

10.1 Updates of Amateur matters

An update of amateur radio issues was given.  T/R 61-01 was adopted and published on the ERO website in October 2003.  Administrations were urged to provide the ERO with information on the equivalence between the CEPT licence and their national licences.  Non-CEPT countries that are part of the arrangements are requested to confirm their participation and provide the necessary information which will be included in the annex of T/R 61-01.

It was also reported that Albania are still considering implementing T/R 61-01.

10.2 CITEL application to join T/R 61-01

CITEL informed the ERO that due to protocol enabling CITEL to agree a CEPT/CITEL MoU on amateur radio has not yet entered into force, as at least 2 OAS  Member states need to sign up to this protocol, the CEPT/CITEL MoU has not yet been signed.  Further details will be provided at the next meeting.

10.3 Draft Revision of CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-02

The draft revision of recommendation T/R 61-02 was introduced.  Comments were received from Estonia and Germany during the consultation, and these changes were taken into account.  Portugal and Spain informed WGRA that they would have problems implementing the revised recommendation.  It was mentioned that if Administrations have problems with the revised Recommendation, they can apply the footnote referring to the fact that Morse code was still required.

WGRA agreed that the Recommendation could be forwarded to the ERO for publication.  The RA6 Chairman urged Administrations to send their national information to the ERO to help complete the tables in the Recommendation.

11 Implementation of ECC Decisions

Charts showing the implementation of ERC/ECC Decisions in CEPT member states was presented. The charts will continue to be updated. 

12 RA Work Programme

12.1 RA Work Programme

Some amendments were made to the work programme.   Portugal reminded that the working group now embraces non radio related issues as well.  Therefore, as specific questions appear, e.g. issues deriving from the application of the new regulatory framework, these ought to be fed into the RA work programme.

The work programme was adopted.

13 Any other business

There was no other business.

14 Minutes of 1st WGRA Meeting

The draft minutes were agreed.

15 Date and place of next meeting

The next meeting will be held in Mainz, 24-27 May 2004.

16 Closure of the meeting


Related Links

ECO Meeting Document Server

European Commission Information Society