Go to ECO main page Print current page Send e-mail to ECO Map of this site Browse Meeting Documents Info on use of web


WGRR 23-27 September 2002, Messolonghi, Greece


The ERO Frequency Information System (EFIS) has been operational now for 7 months.  ERO has received positive feedback and the server has been very reliable.  In the first week of September 2002, an average of 998 hits per day was recorded for the EFIS site.

At the last ECC meeting it was decided to close down ECC PT6 and to move the ongoing work on EFIS to the FM Working Group, which has decided on the terms of reference.  The work shall be continued in the EFIS maintenance group.  The first meeting of this group will be held on October 3rd at the ERO premises.

Currently EFIS contains 12 frequency tables, with a wide range of information including frequency allocations, frequency applications, CEPT official documents, harmonised standards and in some national tables, radio interface specifications.  Further national tables are in the process of being entered into EFIS.

Several administrations (Italy, Switzerland, The Netherlands) have now implemented the automatic table uploading mechanism successfully.  This is a major step forward, since it only requires a few minutes work to upload an entire table into EFIS.

EFIS will continue to be a major work item for the ERO taking into account the ongoing work under the FM Working Group, the data maintenance and the implementation of the EU spectrum policy decision.


2.1 TCAM

A liaison statement had been agreed for GSM jammers (see further detail in the section on GSM jammers below). The Commission had noted that implementation of the ERC Decisions to phase out use of CT1 frequencies was not being undertaken in a harmonised way.  They proposed to investigate this. The Chairman also commented that if EU work is required on this, it might be more appropriately undertaken in the EU Radio Spectrum Committee rather than TCAM.

The AIS Decision has been drafted and will be agreed at the next TCAM. The draft mandate to ETSI for UWB standards is still under discussion; it is not fully supported by all Member States since the results of compatibility studies being undertaken in CEPT are needed in order to complete the standards, and the current timescale in the mandate is rather ambitious.

The Commission have concerns about the content of some fixed link Radio Interfaces and ETSI will study this again. In particular, the standards need to clarify what the essential requirements are.

Market surveillance will be a key issue for the next TCAM.

2.2 Ultra Wide Band (UWB) Devices.

The Netherlands, introduced a document relating to UWB and the concept of footnote 5.340. He suggested that WGRR look at this issue and consider what further action might be taken. Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Croatia and the UK proposed that passive services subject to 5.340 should continue to be protected.

In discussion it was noted that the EU Commission are drafting a mandate to ETSI for the development of standards for UWB. Germany reported that ITU Working Part 1B has set up a Task Group (TG1/8) to possibly produce four recommendations on technical characteristics, compatibility, measurement methods and regulatory issues relating to UWB.

Chairman noted that work on this topic is being done in several different organisations, and WGRR should not duplicate any of that. However, WGRR needed to keep track of that work. ERO commented that they have applied to become members of both ETSI and ITU and therefore they would be able to follow the work in ITU TG1/8 as well as in CEPT and ETSI.

2.3 Report of SRD/MG

There were no items where input was needed from WGRR, but the SRD MG had developed a guidance note on 5GHz RLANs, and discussions were continuing on issues related to 24GHz automotive radar.   

2.4 Class 1 Equipment

The Commission had asked WGRR to continue the task since the aim is to achieve harmonisation and ease burdens on manufacturers. The Commission suggested that if the alert sign on equipment was only needed for limited applications of that equipment, (e.g. satellite terminals when used near airports), then perhaps this could be accommodated by identifying the equipment as Class 1 but introducing a registration system for use of the equipment.  The meeting noted this suggestion; it is not evident that manufacturers are burdened by current requirements. It was agreed that further consideration will be given to this topic, and investigations made as to what other kinds of equipment might be designated as Class 1. Possible candidates included PMR 446, and GSM-R terminals if DMO is harmonised. It was noted that a report needs to be sent to TCAM in Spring 2003.

In discussion the Czech Republic said that Class 1 equipment is for equipment without any restrictions. It was important that a list of Class 1 equipment should be  publicly and easily available; this will also be mentioned to the Commission. It was mentioned that a list is available on the Commission website.


3.1 Report of RR2

RR2 Chairman, introduced Document (02) 85, the report of the 30th meeting of RR2. Recently most RR2 meetings had been involved in preparations for WRC 2003, but RR2 were now able to consider other topics on their work programme.

RR2 had carried out a questionnaire about PLB and an analysis of the responses is available on the ERO ftp server. A questionnaire is being carried out about the implementation of SRC and LRC Certification and an analysis of the findings will be made available on the ERO ftp server.

The meeting agreed that responses to these questionnaires could be of interest to a wider audience, and ERO will consider how the information might be made more widely available on the open part of the ERO website.

It was also agreed that RR2 will give a presentation to the next WGRR meeting on maritime activities and the work undertaken in RR2.

3.2 Monitoring of IMO matters

It was reported that a meeting of IMO COMSAR is to be held next year. ECC Chairman will be notified that there have not been any recent discussions with IMO and will advise ECC of the outcome of the COMSAR meeting.

3.3 Certification of seafarers

A draft letter to the EU Commission about inconsistencies between CEPT Decision (99) 01 and EU Directive 2001/25 relating to levels of training for seafarers was introduced. A few minor amendments were agreed to the text and the letter will be forwarded to the EU Commission.


4.1 RR2 Issues

RR2 Chairman, stated that there were no major concerns regarding Maritime issues since there appeared to be widespread international agreement on the topics.

4.2 Amateur Issues

It was mentioned that problems remained on Article 25 and that it is hoped these will be solved in the next meeting. 

5 Work items on licensing and free circulation 5.1 Report of RR6

WGRR Chairman mentioned that not many administrations are participating in the RR6 work, and encouraged more administrations to do so. RR6 had identified some Items to be added to its work programme relating to radio amateur topics arising out of WRC 2003, particularly revisions of TR 61/01 and 61/02.

5.2 Draft report to ECC on Electronic Licensing

The conclusion from this report is that because of national differences in many of the procedures involved, and different resources available (e.g. IT systems) it is difficult to promote a harmonised approach across CEPT for the introduction of E-licensing. However, a number of key issues have been identified where further work could usefully assist the development of a harmonised approach to this topic. Some of the key issues are authentication, electronic payment, use of electronic signature.

5.3 Approval of Draft Decisions:

- ECC/DEC/02 HH on free circulation and use of L-band Satellite User Terminals (LSUTs)
- ECC/DEC/02 II on the free circulation and use of GSM-R mobile terminals
- ECC/DEC/02 JJ on exemption from individual licensing of GSM-R mobile terminal
- ECC/DEC/02 KK on exemption from individual licensing of L-band Satellite User Terminals (LSUTs)

Comments from Finland and the EU Commission were received during the public consultation on the draft Decisions. The meeting was of the opinion that the proposed text by the Commission that the decisions should not affect the achievement of free circulation and use of equipment as laid down in community law which binds EEA countries was not something which was up to the ECC to state and preferred to keep the present wording.

In discussion, the proposals from Finland, which related to the inclusion of references to standards, were agreed.   The Commissions proposals to amend the reference to "legally harmonised standards" were not accepted by the meeting. The other comments from the Commission related to inserting text to the effect that these draft ECC measures should not impede EU Member States from meeting their EU obligations. The Meeting noted that standard text had been used for this in previous Decisions and agreed that it should be inserted in these draft texts. 

Revised drafts were agreed to forward to ECC for final adoption. 

5.4 Template of Draft ECC Decision on Carriage and Use of Equipment

The meeting was reminded that it had previously been agreed that a template Decision needed to be developed. He explained that the text in square brackets might not need to be included in specific Decisions but had been included in the template in case it is needed.

The meeting agreed that the text should be used for future Decisions.

5.5 List of Licensing contacts

The administrations that had already sent their licensing contact were thanked and the others were urged to follow their lead.  Once the list has been completed the ERO will be responsible for updating it.

5.6 Proposal for ECC Decision on Free Circulation, Use and Exemption from Individual Licensing of 1.4 GHz S-DAB Receive Only Terminals in CEPT Member Countries

PT5 had expressed their support for this Decision .  A draft Decision had been submitted to WGFM covering the frequency allocations for S DAB.  That proposal had been deferred to the next WGFM, and therefore it was suggested it would be premature for WGRR to start work on this. It was agreed that RR6 would include the topic in their work programme.  It was noted that some delegates questioned the need for this Decision since broadcasting receivers are already exempt from licensing in a number of administrations.


The last PT5 meeting had discussed a number of issues including the continuing implementation of OSS by Administrations. PT5 had also discussed the Recommendation on the OSS COM and noted that it was important to identify requirements before taking steps to implement the COM.

PT5 continued to feel that it was important that PT5 reported directly to ECC rather than joining a Working Group like WGRR.

PT5 had also discussed whether there was a requirement for a Milestone Review Process for S-DAB. No conclusions had been reached because the frequency issues had not yet been resolved.


The meeting discussed a proposal for future work relating to a study of practice for auctions and beauty contests. The meeting agreed that the proposal was good but that a more general study might be useful; also RR8 already had some other items on its work programme so work on the new proposal would have to wait for a while. A modified proposal was added to the work programme, which was updated and agreed during the meeting.

France, introduced a questionnaire circulated by ITU.  Part 3 of the questionnaire relates to licence fees and charges and responses to it would be useful to the work of RR8. Administrations are encouraged to respond to the questionnaire by the deadline of 1st November; and also to copy their response to Part 3 of the questionnaire to RR8. The reply from France can be seen on the ITU website.

7.2 Draft ECC report on Refarming and Spectrum Trading

Chairman RR8 gave a presentation about the scope and work covered in the draft Report. It was stated that not all Administrations are in favour of spectrum trading; to date this has not been used in Europe, but a number of countries are planning to introduce it.

The final draft of the Report was agreed. Since only minor changes had been made, the meeting did not consider a further consultation of the draft was necessary and the text was therefore agreed and ERO asked to arrange for its publication.

7.3 RR8 Chairman

Mrs Jeanty explained that she will soon be leaving her post at ERO and could no longer Chair RR8. The meeting was pleased to accept ERO's offer to continue chairing the PT and was pleased to appoint Miss Fabienne Abadie to the post.


8.1 Report of RR11

Chairman RR11 mentioned the Information Day on the Market Surveillance campaign to be held at ERO on 9 October, which will give more information about how the campaign will be undertaken. The campaign is in collaboration with ADCO and takes place from September 2002 - September 2003. ERO had not yet heard from the EU Commission whether or not their grant proposal for this topic had been approved. Although it could assist the ERO in their work in this project, in any event they would continue to be involved.


ODTR, Ireland had circulated a questionnaire to Administrations seeking more information about their national situations on illegal broadcastingAdministrations are requested to respond to the questionnaire. RR11 proposed that the outcome of this work might be made available as an ECC Report, and the topic was added to the RR11 work programme.


Work had begun on the topic of training of Inspection and Market Surveillance staff and the outcome of the work is expected to be available in September 2003..


Since the introduction of digital services, there had been an increase in interference investigation work in a number of Administrations, and RR11 are considering whether or not to request WGRR that this should be a specific work item. As far as specific types of equipment are concerned, a large number of difficulties are being caused by the use of RLANs in the 2.5GHz band. This is  especially because of increasing illegal use in combination with high gain antennas or because of differing restrictions on their use e.g. indoors, outdoors or fixed. RR11 are carrying out a questionnaire to obtain more information from Administrations in order to exchange information and to find better ways on how to enforce restrictions. The outcome of this investigation will be presented to WGRR for consideration.


8.2 Draft ECC Report on enforcement aspects of market surveillance and radio equipment inspection procedures


A presentation on the history and overview of the draft Report was given. In discussion a number of minor amendments were suggested:  the use of the terms "harmonics" and "spurious" were clarified; it was suggested that a summary be inserted at the beginning of the Report to explain that it is meant for guidance of officers in the field and not to make a number of "recommendations". The Report was approved and will be published directly after the meeting.


8.3 Programme Making and Special Events.


RR11 are continuing their work on Programme Making and Special Events. A number of existing ERC/ECC reports are being studied for information, and additional material has been requested from RR6 and RR8.


8.4 Study on use of GSM JAMMERS


RR11 had continued its study on use of GSM jammers. A document which outlined the work done so far and proposed some areas for further study was presented. Findings so far suggested that there are two main types of equipment to be considered: "selective" (which can select specific bands), and "non-selective", defined as "GSM jammer".  The GSM jammer has also been discussed in the EU TCAM Committee, where there continues to be discussion as to whether or not the equipment could be considered as covered by the provisions of the RTTE or EMC Directives. A statement has been proposed by the EU to be put on their R&TTE web site.


RR11 had noted that some GSM network operators and users did sometimes need to use selective equipment and that the operators could be consulted about the RR11 task; also, security services needed to use selective equipment.  In discussion it was noted that most problems would be caused by "jammers", and that perhaps the RR11 work should be restricted to placing on the market and use of this kind of equipment in CEPT countries.

The document was referred back to RR11.


8.5 Contact list of enforcement officials


RR11 had also compiled a contact list of enforcement and market surveillance officials in CEPT. This had been a useful exercise and the list would be maintained.




9.1 CITEL application to join T/R 61-01 and T/R 61-02


A small e-mail group had discussed the latest proposal from CITEL.  The document was discussed during the CITEL Assembly.  The ERO are awaiting comments from CITEL. A formal agreement between CITEL and CEPT was the key to resolving this issue.


10 TG1 Review of ECC Family


10.1 Update on TG1 Activities


It was unlikely that there would be any dramatic changes as a result of the work.  There were proposals that WGRR should become Working Group Regulatory (WGR), due to other areas such as Market surveillance, which does not necessarily fall under “Radio”.


There is also a proposal that PT5 is to become a project team within WGR; that PT2 and PT4 should form a working group or join WGRR.  In addition, it had been proposed that all WRC work should be done in CPG and not WGs.


The next TG1 meeting is in December.  Final proposals will be dealt with at ECC in March 2003.




Charts which showed that a considerable number of Administrations had implemented Decisions since the exercise had begun were presented.




The Programme is updated at each meeting, and needs to be approved by ECC. During the meeting, the project team Chairmen each gave more information about the work items for which they are responsible, and major items are covered in the relevant sections above. Some revisions to the work programme were agreed and a new item is to be added for UWB.


The Netherlands , introduced the Netherlands concerns for UWB and PLT equipment.   He asked for WGRR to consider their concerns and for WGRR to find a way forward. A wider overview of these products should be given and the need for better communication between WGRR, WGFM and WGSE was emphasised.  He suggested an ECC liaison process to find out about these products and the problems faced in WGRR. The Rules and Procedures should be strictly followed. ETSI should continue to attend WGRR to help assist by providing advance information about industry requirements. Following the discussion, it was decided not to take further action on this topic in WGRR at the moment.




13.1 Future of EU ERMES Directive


The Chairman introduced a letter from the EU Commission to the ECC reporting that a harmonised application should be used for this spectrum.  In discussion it was noted that ETSI are preparing a systems reference document and have submitted a proposal to open the band for equipment using the DIIS protocol.


13.2 ISP


Bulgaria have asked for information about licensing arrangements for ISPs, and use of ISM bands. Information should be forwarded to the Bulgarian Administration.


13.3 WGRR Delegates Moving On


As well as the many items of work which were dealt with during this meeting, unfortunately, there were also some farewells to be made.


Lilian Jeanty, ERO, will shortly be returning to the Administration of The Netherlands and will be badly missed in WGRR for all her help, support and hard work over a number of years as national delegate, Chairman and latterly ERO contact.


John Bazley, IARU, announced that this would be his last meeting and thanked WGRR for accepting him in his role over the years as IARU delegate. WGRR will miss his participation and assistance.


Igor Minaev, Vice Chairman, announced during the meeting that he will soon be taking up a post in ETSI as Liaison Officer for the CEEC and CIS and therefore could no longer continue in WGRR. We thank him for his work for the Group.


We wish all these colleagues well in their next tasks and challenges.




The next meeting will be held at the premises of ERO, Copenhagen on 3-7th February 2003 .  

Related Links

ECO Meeting Document Server

European Commission Information Society