Go to ECO main page Print current page Send e-mail to ECO Map of this site Browse Meeting Documents Info on use of web


WGRR 27-31 May, Kiev, Ukraine.


1.1 Ultra Wide Band (UWB) Devices.

There is a need to develop compatibility between services, which could be achieved through general regulation for licence exempt use, while the equipment type could be included in the recommendation for short-range devices. However, it was recognised that standards and compatibility issues need to be developed further before any regulatory impact studies take place. ETSI groups are discussing harmonised standards for UWB and SE24 is currently studying the topic and will have results for a compatibility study soon.

It was agreed to keep the UWB topic on the WGRR agenda. If there are any developments in other groups, such as WGSE and SRD/MG, they should inform WGRR.

On a separate but related issue, concerns were raised about contradictions in the footnote to ITU RR 5.340 relating to non-interference to passive services.

1.2 Classification and Definition of Class 1 & 2 equipment

The ECC have been asked by the Commission to undertake the above work. There is a need to work towards new cases, possibly PMR 446. There may also be some similar harmonised bands in the future for other cases. A report will be produced for the next TCAM meeting in September.


2.1 Report of RR2

RR2 drew the attention of WGRR to certification issues for seafarers which was of major concern because of differences between CEPT ERC Decision (99)01 and EU regulations. RR2 also continued to have concerns about the possible interference caused to maritime services from PLT.

AIS matters

One year ago a proposal emerged for a new Commission Decision invoking art. 3.3 of the R&TTE Directive for voluntarily fitted AIS terminals. These are falling outside the EU Maritime Equipment Directive (96/98/EC) and since they are not part of the GMDSS they are not covered by the previous Commission Decision on other voluntarily fitted maritime radio equipment participating in the GMDSS. Administrations were invited to react on the issue through their TCAM delegates.


3.1 RR2 Issues & RR6 Issues

A revised ECP and Brief on WRC-03 Agenda Item 1.9 were submitted to CPG/PT4, as well as the draft ECPs and Briefs for 1.10.1, 1.10.2 and 1.14. During the last CPG/PT4 meeting (Brest, 21-24 May 2002) further fine-tuning of the draft ECPs and Briefs took place.

Progress has been made in regard to Agenda Item 1.7.1 and 1.7.2.  The earlier developed draft ECPs and Briefs did not undergo substantial change up until now. Discussions are also mainly focussing on proposals to revise 25.5 and 25.6.

3.2 CPG PT2

A draft recommendation from ITU Working Party 8A regarding Global cross border circulation of radiocommunication equipment in emergency and disaster relief situations was presented.

4 Work items on licensing and free circulation

4.1 Draft ECC report of Electronic Licensing

A report summarising the progress made by RR6 on Electronic Licensing was supplemented by some presentations; the gathering of information and transfer of experiences made in some Administrations was fruitful. The absence of formal electronic document regimes in some CEPT countries might require a work item under appropriate ECC ownership. That would ensure a co-ordinated approach towards the requirements of the EU Directive on electronic signatures and all aspects of the processing of formal electronic documents. The work on Electronic Licensing will continue in RR6.

4.2 Draft Decisions

Draft Decisions on free circulation and use and licence exemption for GSM-R terminals were discussed, amended and forwarded to ERO for public consultation.

Two further draft Decisions on respectively Licence exemption and free circulation and use of L-band satellite user terminals on a generic basis were discussed. Questions were raised about the approach to the use of generic decisions, and about the need to avoid duplication between existing and new Decisions. Some amendments were made to the texts and it was agreed to send the Decisions out for public consultation.

It was also noted that ERC Decision (95)01 needed to be amended because of changes arising from implementation of the RTTE Directive. This would be considered further by PT RR6.

4.3 Definitions of PMR/PAMR

There have been comments from some members of RR6 that there was no need to restrict it to professional usage. The definition was therefore amended.


5.1 1999 Review Directives

5.2 Draft Spectrum Decision

Representatives of the European Commission gave presentations on the Spectrum Decision and the new EU Directives.

5.3 Licensing Committee

One of the Committees to be set up under the new EU package is going to take up the work of the Licensing Committee.


6.1 Report from PT5 Chairman

PT5 is working on the implementation of existing Decisions. Efforts to promote the idea of packaging satellite Decisions for bulk implementation have been postponed.

A recent questionnaire from ERO to users of the SAT OSS showed that the biggest impediment to the effectiveness of the SAT OSS is that not enough administrations accept the OSS arrangements. The work on reduction of questions in the Common Application Form (the COM) is progressing, PT5 expects to finalise the draft ECC Recommendation introducing the COM at its meeting in June. In addition, ERO had had some encouraging responses in the correspondence with administrations, aiming at their removal of some of their Individual Requirement Consideration questions.

An update of Annex II of the CSI report, had been completed, also with ERO involvement, and the results on licensing status in the S-PCS (MRC) bands would be put on the ERO web site.

6.2 Draft ECC Recommendation on change of name of Licensee

The above Draft Recommendation, which is limited to SPCS systems but could be used to cover change of ownership in a broader area, was discussed. The Draft Recommendation proposes that a “fast track” approach be introduced so that administrations do not need to ask for the same information from licensees that they already have. WGRR agreed that at this time there is no need for a broader Recommendation on change of ownership, but saw no difficulty in PT5 elaborating the text for better clarity for presentation to the July ECC meeting.


7.1 Report of RR8

RR8 is working on the draft ECC report on refarming and secondary trading.  Nineteen administrations answered the refarming questionnaire.

Draft report on refarming

The above report will be finalised at the next RR8 meeting and will be put forward to the next WGRR meeting. A detailed analysis of legal considerations around compensatory payments is attached to the document as an annex. A chapter has been added on the use of scenarios and further information on secondary trading in Non-CEPT countries has been included. Proposals for further work will be discussed at the next RR8 meeting. The title might need to be changed to fully reflect the extensive scope of the report.


8.1 Report of RR11

Arrangements have been made for regular meetings between RR11 and ADCO. RR11 had also taken this initiative in developing a market surveillance campaign for CEPT.

There was a discussion regarding illegal broadcasting within the CEPT countries and Administrations have been asked to provide information on this issue.

8.2 Draft ECC report on enforcement aspects of market surveillance and radio equipment inspection procedures including training of staff

More time was needed to finalise the Enforcement report. It is expected that the report can be forwarded for consideration and approval to the next WGRR meeting. The reason for delay is mainly caused by input from WGFM PT22 (Spectrum Monitoring). It was proposed to delete the training aspects from the report and include them in separate report.

8.3 Draft Revised recommendation T/R 51-01

A proposal to broaden the scope of the above Recommendation to include Aircraft was discussed. Some minor changes were made to the text and it was adopted by the meeting.  It will be published as a Recommendation after the meeting.

8.4 Study on use of GSM Jammers

RR11 expressed their concern about the placing of Jammers on the market and requested to study the issue further.

The Commission noted that restrictions on the use of Jammers had implications in a number of areas of EU policy. Also the equipment could be viewed as compliant with other (non-RTTE) Directives. The Commission Services welcome the activity in CEPT WGRR on market surveillance of illegal Jammers. They are concerned about unintelligent jamming devices which, if they appear on the Europe Market will cause a big threat to radio communication services. Placing on the market for Jammers has been an ongoing discussion for TCAM for several years. In the last TCAM meeting, it was agreed between member states that they would not allow jamming for civil use. A statement has been developed by the Commission.

8.5 Contact list of enforcement officials

The meeting discussed the generation of a contact list of enforcement officials within CEPT and urged the participants to supply the contact details at the earliest opportunity to the ERO.

8.6 (Enforcement) guidance for special events

RR11 has started working on enforcement aspects of this guidance and will liase with RR6 and RR8 regarding the update of ERC Report 34, which should include new regulatory aspects such as licensing, tariffs, application form and enforcement issues.

The importance of the harmonisation of the use of temporary terrestrial audio and video SAP/SAB links in CEPT member countries, in relation with the WGFM liaison statement about ERC/REC 25-10 “Spectrum use and future requirements” was recognised. There was agreement with the overall conclusions in ERC/REC 25-10. The application form mentioned in annex 3 of the Recommendation should be considered in more details by the RR6 and RR11.

A Liaison statement of the above mentioned points was prepared and it was proposed that recommends 3) and annex 3 might be withdrawn from Recommendation 25-10.


9.1 Updates on amateur matters

No new implementations to TR 61/01 and 61/02; the only new information is that Iceland had changed their categories, A, B and C to category G (equivalent to CEPT class 1).

9.2 CITEL application to join T/R61-01 and T/R61-02

A document was produced at the CITEL meeting in February but the draft could not be approved. Another proposal will be developed at their next meeting concerning a MoU to be developed between CITEL and CEPT.

10 TG1 Review of ECC Family

10.1 Questionnaire from TG1

WGRR drafted a response to the TG1 questionnaire.

11 Implementation of ECC Decisions

11.1 Work request from ECC

ECC requested its working groups to carry out a follow up action on the implementation of Decisions. A first report to ECC is scheduled for the November ECC meeting. Reasons are needed by administrations as to why they have not implemented Decisions. In discussion, it was agreed to exclude the 32 Type Approval Decisions since they have been superseded by the RTTE Directive. In cases where an administration had not implemented many Decisions, a general letter and the questionnaire would be sent to explain the exercise in detail. In all other cases, a copy of the questionnaire for each Decision would be sent to administrations under a letter from the WGRR Chairman.

12 RR WORK PROGRAMME and schedule of meetings 

The RR work programme was updated.


13.1 CB/PMR 446

ERO requires administrations to send in relevant amendments

13.2 CEPT Conference

A report was made on the successful CEPT Conference. Further information is available on the ERO website.

13.3 ITU Regional Centre of Excellence

The Ukrainian Administration gave a presentation on the ITU Regional Centre of Excellence.


The next meeting will be held in Greece on 23-27th September 2002, thanks to the kind invitation of the Greek Administration.


Related Links

ECO Meeting Document Server

European Commission Information Society